Monday, February 4, 2013

Weekly Poem - I Love the Look of Words

I Love the Look of Words
by: Maya Angelou 


Popcorn leaps, popping from the floor
of a hot black skillet
and into my mouth.
Black words leap,
snapping from the white
page. Rushing into my eyes. Sliding
into my brain which gobbles them
the way my tongue and teeth
chomp the buttered popcorn.

When I have stopped reading,
ideas from the words stay stuck
in my mind, like the sweet
smell of butter perfuming my
fingers long after the popcorn
is finished.
I love the book and the look of words
the weight of ideas that popped into my mind
I love the tracks
of new thinking in my mind.


4 comments:

  1. It seems hard but after awhile it is really simple. I memorized half in about 6 minutes.

    ~Amari

    ReplyDelete
  2. No you did not!!!!!


    Nikhel P.s. You probably did it in 16 minuets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I did! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! It takes me awhile but I can.


    ~Amari P.S. Maybe it took about 10 minutes.
    P.P.S You spelled minutes wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't get the meaning of this poem but, I like it!
    Lauren
    p.s it is writen by my black history project person

    ReplyDelete